September 21, 2016



Getting ready for baby can be stressful and overwhelming, especially when it comes to creating your registry. Trying to figure out what you want for baby and what the baby will actually need, is actually really hard. The first time we went to register, I took one stroll down the bottle aisle, which was filled with literally a million different nipples for a thousand different stages of a baby's bottle-feeding lifetime, and turned right around and said, "Nope, not today." [The worst part is, is that I did not even have any plans on bottle-feeding!] We had already added the few things to the registry, so we walked right out. Feeling defeated, Justin, ever-so-sweetly, took me out for some nachos to cheer me up, as he knows that nachos are only thing that can comfort me after a long, stressful afternoon [especially when wine is no longer an option]. 

From the time you announce that you are pregnant, you will find that everyone has an opinion on what you will need for baby [and, that is okay, some suggestions are actually really great], but unfortunately, it is not until your sweet bundle of joy is home, that you will find out what he or she really wants and needs. We had to make a ton of adjustments and numerous trips back and forth to Babies 'R Us, until we found which products worked best for us. So, here is my opinion on a few of our favorite newborn essentials [which, you can take with a grain of salt, as your baby will differ from mine]. You will find that some are tested tried and true, while others are my thoughts on how I would have done things differently, if I could turn back time, or will do differently the next time around. 

1. The Binxy Baby Shopping Cart Hammock - What's nice about the Binxy Baby Shopping Cart Hammock is that it fits most standard grocery store shopping carts, can be used as a car seat sling or allow your baby to lounge while you shop, and holds up to 50 pounds. This product is especially nice for infants that cannot quite sit up just yet and takes up much less space than your infant car seat carrier! That was always my issue. I never felt safe putting the infant car seat on the hand rail, so I would place Niko, car seat and all, in the cart, which took up all of our grocery space. So, here is my treat to you! Click here for 10% off of your Binxy Baby order. You're welcome! 

2. Motorola Remote Wireless Video Baby Monitor - A baby monitor is a must-have for any baby registry. Having a video monitor has made checking up on Niko a breeze and allows us to see how he is doing without waking him [Sometimes, we like to check in and watch him and call it the Niko show, ha!]. I would definitely recommend adding some sort of video monitor to your registry, but I would try to stay away from any monitor that needs to connect to your wifi. 

3. 4moms MamaRoo Infant Seat - If you have read our post about Niko's Top 10 Faves, then you already know how much we love the 4moms MamaRoo. If you have not read our previous post, then I will quickly catch you up: The MamaRoo is a bouncer, rocker, and swing all-in-one and allows you to control its movements and sounds all from the touch of a button on your phone! This little seat was a lifesaver when Niko was an infant and I really do not have a bad thing to say about it. If you decide to go with the MamaRoo, then I would recommend picking up the 4moms MamaRoo Infant Insert, as well. This will keep your baby all snuggled up and secure while he or she is still all tiny and squishy! 

4. Boppy Nursing Pillow - The Boppy Pillow got us through many late night nursing sessions and around the clock cluster feedings. During those cluster feedings, it allowed me to have my hands free to do as much as I possibly could, while being glued to one spot. The contour of the pillow is the perfect shape to give you and baby the support you need during those long [or short] nursing sessions. Not only is the Boppy great for nursing, but it is also great for other uses, such as tummy time and keeping your little one docked in one spot for a short period of time. [Disclosure: Boppy recommends never allowing your baby to sleep in the Boppy, nor leaving your baby unattended while using the Boppy.]

5. Plain Onesies - You are going to need a ton of plain white onesies. We literally had to cut so many white onesies off of Niko due to diaper blowouts. They are cheap enough to stock up on and they are perfect to lounge around in those first couple of days while you get used to their feeding/pooping patterns. The best part is, is that you will never feel guilty about having to cut these little guys up or tossing them out because they are not pretty nor or they expensive. 

6. The DockATot - The DockATot was a product that I had come across well after I had Niko, but it is something that I wish we had gotten when he was an infant. We now have the DockATot Grand, which is made for babies 9 to 36 months [they also offer the Deluxe, which is for infants 0 to 8 months], and Niko seems to love hanging out and lounging around in it, so far! We are excited to use it as we transition Niko from his crib to his big boy bed, and continue to work on his napping skills. What I love about the DockATot is that it is a breathable, functional lounger, co-sleeper, and playtime lounger that is handmade in Europe. The DockATot is also OEKO-TEX certified and made of 100% all natural cotton. Another treat for you: click here for $10 off of your DockATot purchase! Snuggle up and enjoy your snuggly little baby while you can! 

7. Halo Bassinet - The Halo Bassinet is one of my must-haves for future babies. I did not come across this product until Niko was already sleeping in his crib, but I knew as soon as I stumbled upon it, that it would be future must-have. We originally used the bassinet that came with our Pack 'n Play, which was fine at the time, but as time went on, I really wished that we had a bassinet for Niko, especially one that did not take up as much space. What I love about the Halo Bassinet is that it has a 360 degree swivel, a retractable side wall, soothing sound machine, and two different levels of vibration. Sounds like a perfect way for baby to sleep, if you ask me! 

8. Britax B-Safe 35 Infant Car Seat - I have been told that Britax is one of the safest car seats that is currently on the market, and when it comes to Niko's safety, I only want what is going to keep him safest. We truly love our Britax car seat and I would recommend Britax over and over again. You can read more about it's safety features here: https://us.britax.com/car-seats/b-safe-35/.

9. aden + anais Swaddle Blankets - As you may know by now, we have an obsession with all things aden + anais, as we just love how soft and breathable all of their products are, especially their swaddle blankets. We cannot get enough of them and never leave the house without one! You can read more about them in our Niko's Top 10 Faves post and our Niko's Favorite Summer Picks post. 

10. Baby Jogger City Select - This is one of those products that we do not have, but is on my wishlist for when baby no. 2 comes along. If I could go back in time, I would not have invested in buying a travel system, because we will eventually need a double stroller and our travel system will become obsolete. So, rather than purchasing a travel system, I should have purchased the Baby Jogger City Select, as it can be used as a single stroller and travel system, and then, when the time comes, a second seat can be added to make it a double stroller. With over 16 possible configurations, I do not know what I was thinking not getting this stroller in the first place! 

11. Cloud B Sleep Sheep - This is one of those desert island products that we could not live without when Niko was a newborn, and still continue to use. Having a white noise machine drowns out any other noises that Justin and I make while Niko sleeps, and has taught him to be able to sleep through anything. I am not even kidding. I am able to run the vacuum while he sleeps and he just continues to snooze away! 

12. BabyBjorn Baby Carrier Original - In my opinion, a baby carrier is pretty essential when having a newborn. Sometimes, it is the only way to get things done around the house. Plus, they say wearing your baby is super beneficial to the baby, so I wore Niko as much as I could. We loved the BabyBjorn Baby Carrier because it was safe and comfy for Niko, as well as comfy for us. We also loved that Niko could be forward-facing or outward-facing [after 5 months, it is not recommended to wear baby outward-facing before then because  their hips are still developing]. However, I also loved [and still love] the Baby K'tan Baby Carrier. I loved wearing Niko in a wrap type carrier, but it really is all about personal preference and what is comfortable for you and baby. 

My last bits of advice to you before creating your registry would be: not to register for too many clothes [you will receive plenty at your shower, especially if you know the gender of your baby, and once the baby arrives]; do not worry about the price [Someone once told me to look at your registry as if were a wish list. If someone wants to spend the money, then lucky for you! If not, you can always pick it up later with a gift card and/or use your completion discount towards the item]; use the online registering tool, as there are so many more options online than in the store; register for products that you will need months down the road, such as a jumper, a walker, etc.; and lastly, sit back and enjoy the ride, it is not every day that you are pregnant with your first!

From my mini to yours, good luck! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Follow

About

A twenty-something small town girl who traded in her big city life for country living. I am a wife and new mama just trying to balance this beautiful life as we now know it. We have come a long way since our first days together, but every day I am still learning something new about life, love, and our little mini. Watch as our new life as a family of four unfolds.

Instagram

Follow

Recent Posts

[4][recent][recent][Latest Posts]

Popular Posts